I'm on yet another tirade about AVL today. They are indeed the nicest people and maybe I just got a bad loom, but it still isn't working properly and the "fixes" I discussed with them last night are pretty bizarre. I'm really not interested in a loom that has jerryrigging and duct tape and lashed on parts. The loom is just badly designed, that's just the reality. And frankly, I'm shocked and dismayed. My expectations for the Mercedes Benz of looms was pretty high. Instead, I've spent the past year, yes YEAR, trying to get it up and running. Some day, I'll recount all of the problems, but for now, the request is that I do some pretty odd things, like make a fabric sleeve to go over the breast beam so the yarns don't slip and cause more draw-in. (Okay, granted this was my own idea, but still the fact that I have to come up with something at all is ridiculous.)
They also want me to rig up a counterbalance harness in the back for my selvedges and make it out of pulleys and closet rods and string heddles... I don't have time for this. I really, really, really was hoping last nights call would solve all of these problems. Even if the end result was that I was an idiot and just didn't know how to do it, or put it together wrong. Unfortunately, it's the design of it.
I'm under big pressure right now to get my samples finished and some full-sized pieces made so that my rep can start selling... oh, and then I guess I have to actually produce product to fill the orders, huh... argh.