Thursday, March 27, 2008

Commission Piece(s)

I briefly mentioned this when talking about the move, but I do have this commissioned piece for a large telecommunications company. Right now I'm thinking of it as 3 panels on the theme of Telecommunications: Death of Distance. Each piece becomes a major phase of communication over long distances, from paper "snail" mail, to telegraph and wireline phone, to fiber optic networks. So for each of the three I'll use paper yarn, copper wire and fiber optic fiber as long floats on each of the piece. Right now I'm struggling with the ground cloth. My temptation is to do some interesting patterning on the ground cloth--like a networked twill or a snowflake pattern. The other options I'm still working through is to encode something meaningful in the ground cloth--either words (a la name drafting) or some other numeric system related to telecomm-- morse code comes to mind as well as some of the modern encryption systems typical of data communications.

Now as for color--I'm still being drawn to just black (unless I do name drafting or something), so that it shows off the fiber optic and copper really well. I have some black rayon (or maybe it's cotton flake, I can't remember) that I can at least do some sampling with.

Those are the ideas swirling around for now--we'll see where it all lands...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Paula said...

Gosh this is interesting. I use to work for a telco as did my Dad.
I have a loom although have not woven in years. Looking forward to seeing your work in progress.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home